Dance Teaching - Certificate of Achievement Level 1
The Dance Teaching Certificate of Achievement – Level 1 will prepare students for teaching dance at private dance studios or community programs. Upon completion of the certificate students will be proficient in three or more dance technique styles at the intermediate level, have a firm understanding of dance pedagogy, dance appreciation and music theory, and be competent crafting movement classes and dance choreography.
The Dance Teaching Certificate of Achievement course of study recommends a sound foundation of ballet, jazz and modern dance technique. Students should pass or test out of DANCE 010, DANCE 020 and DANCE 050 prior to beginning the required coursework for this certificate. A minimum of 3 courses in the dance major must be taken at San José City College. A grade of “C” or better is required in each course in the major for graduation.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply proper posture, alignment, body organizations, vocabulary, and performance quality to a variety of dance techniques.
- Discuss the aesthetics and composition of dance as an expression of self and culture.
- Critically compare various dance genres on the basis of movement and historical context.
- Perform original dance choreography in class or for live public performances.
- Create dance choreography using the principles of composition for in class demonstration or live public performance.
Students should pass or test out of DANCE 010, DANCE 020 and DANCE 050 prior to beginning the required coursework for this certificate. A minimum of 3 courses in the dance major must be taken at San José City College.
|DANCE 002||Dance Appreciation||3|
|DANCE 004||Dance Pedagogy: Teaching Children Dance||3|
|DANCE 030||Dance Improvisation||1.5|
|or DANCE 032||Choreography|
|MUSIC 099||Introductory Music||3|
|THEAT 033||Technical Theatre in Production||1|
|Approved Major Elective Technique Courses|
|Select 6 units from the following:||6|
|Jazz Dance, Intermediate|
|Jazz Dance, High-Intermediate|
|Hip-Hop Dance, Beginning|
|Hip-hop Dance, Intermediate|
|Tap Dance, Beginning|
|Tap Dance, Intermediate|
|Modern Dance, Intermediate|
|Modern Dance, High-Intermediate|