Print Media - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
San José City College offers Associate in Science (AS) degrees and certificate programs emphasizing three major areas in Media Arts: Print Media, Motion Arts, and Web/Interactive Design. The Media Arts program is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to the converging fields of journalism, communication and new media technology. It responds to the need for people skilled in effective communications in all levels of society including industry, education, art and music, and the public arena.
The Certificates of Achievement and the AS degrees provides a core foundation of coursework for further study, and emphasizes the integration of visual literacy, communication media and technology, and critical thinking. The certificate can also offer a level of competency in communications media for those who are pursuing other fields of study, or for those in the workplace who need communications skills training to perform their job function or to assume additional job responsibilities. A grade of “C” or better is required for all major and certificate courses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create digital projects that demonstrate an understanding of the formal elements and principles of design.
- Communicate an idea through digital project by skillfully using materials and techniques to achieve the desired effect.
- Develop a balance of technical ability and design skills which together enrich the appreciation of making and viewing digital art.
- Recognize and list major historical benchmarks and trends in the development of digital art, and place digital art in a contemporary context.
- Analyze the objective and subjective qualities of digital project in order to evaluate and assess its worthiness.