Web/Interactive Design - Associate in Science
The Media Arts program is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to the converging fields of journalism, communication and new media technology. It responds to the need for people skilled in effective communications in all levels of society including industry, education, art and music, and the public arena.
The Associate in Arts (AA) in Media Arts provides a core foundation of media and visual literacy, a foundation of technical skills, and principles of design and information hierarchy, as well as specialization skill development in: Information gathering and reporting in journalistic formats, visual and photo journalism concepts and skills, and application of theory and skill to journalistic practice.
Certificates and Associate in Science (AS) degrees emphasizing three major areas in Media Arts are available: Print Media, Motion Arts, and Web/Interactive Design. The Certificates of Achievement and the Associate in Science degrees provide a core foundation of coursework for further study, and emphasizes the integration of visual literacy, communication media and technology, and critical thinking. The certificate can also offer a level of competency in communications media for those who are pursuing other fields of study, or for those in the workplace who need communications skills training to perform their job function or to assume additional job responsibilities. A grade of “C” or better is required for all major and certificate courses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create digital projects that demonstrate an understanding of the formal elements and principles of design.
- Communicate an idea through digital project by skillfully using materials and techniques to achieve the desired effect.
- Develop a balance of technical ability and design skills which together enrich the appreciation of making and viewing digital art.
- Recognize and list major historical benchmarks and trends in the development of digital art, and place digital art in a contemporary context.
- Analyze the objective and subjective qualities of digital project in order to evaluate and assess its worthiness.
A.S. Degree Requirements: Web/Interactive Design
|Certificate of Achievement - Level 2|
|ART 071||Introduction to Media Arts||3|
|ART 072||Computer Graphics||3|
|ART 079A||Web Design 1||3|
|ART 079B||Web Design 2||3|
|JOURN 021||Mass Media and Society||3|
|JOURN 022||News Writing and Reporting for the Media||3|
|PHOTO 076||Photoshop 1||3|
|Certificate of Achievement - Level 3|
|Completion of Cetificate of Achievement - Level 2||24|
|ART 074||Media Arts Project Development||3|
|ART 076||Professional Practices and Portfolio Development 1||3|
|Plus one course from the following:|
|ART 084B||Web Animation 2||3|
|CIS 020||XML Fundamentals||3|
|A.S. Degree Requirements|
|Completion of Certificate of Achievement - Level 3||33|
|General Education Requirements||24|