About the Program
The Media Arts program is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to the converging fields of journalism, communication and new media technology. It responds to the need for people skilled in effective communications in all levels of society including industry, education, art and music, and the public arena.
The Associate in Arts (AA) in Media Arts provides a core foundation of media and visual literacy, a foundation of technical skills, and principles of design and information hierarchy, as well as specialization skill development in: Information gathering and reporting in journalistic formats, visual and photo journalism concepts and skills, and application of theory and skill to journalistic practice.
Certificates and Associate in Science (AS) degrees emphasizing three major areas in Media Arts are available: Print Media, Motion Arts, and Web/Interactive Design. The Certificates of Achievement and the Associate in Science degrees provide a core foundation of coursework for further study, and emphasizes the integration of visual literacy, communication media and technology, and critical thinking. The certificate can also offer a level of competency in communications media for those who are pursuing other fields of study, or for those in the workplace who need communications skills training to perform their job function or to assume additional job responsibilities. A grade of “C” or better is required for all major and certificate courses.
- Web Designers
- Video Producers
- Photo Journalists
- Graphic Designers
- Certificate – Level 2
- Certificate – Level 3
- A.A. Degree
- A.S. Degree
For additional information, see a counselor, visit the Career/Transfer Center, or contact the following:
|Humanities and Social Sciences Division||(408) 288-3785|
- Media Arts - Associate in Arts
- Motion Arts - Associate in Science
- Print Media - Associate in Science
- Web/Interactive Design - Associate in Science
- Motion Arts - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
- Motion Arts - Certificate of Achievement Level 3
- Print Media - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
- Print Media - Certificate of Achievement Level 3
- Web/Interactive Design - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
- Web/Interactive Design - Certificate of Achievement Level 3