Art - Associate in Science
San José City College offers both an Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) in Art degree. Students planning to follow a transfer pattern should use the Associate in Arts degree. This degree may not transfer to all universities, and students need to inquire of the universities if they have a bachelor’s degree for their upper division course work. The Associate in Science has 2 possible areas of emphasis: Drawing and Painting or Photography. A minimum of 3 courses in the Art major must be taken at San José City College. A grade of “C” or better is required in each course in the major and area of emphasis for graduation.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create artworks that demonstrate an understanding of the formal elements and principles of design.
- Communicate an idea through an artwork by skillfully using materials and techniques to achieve the desired effect.
- Practice an aesthetic process to develop concepts which enrich the appreciation of making and viewing visual art.
- Recognize and list major artists and historical art trends and styles, and place art in a contemporary context.
- Analyze the objective and subjective qualities of an artwork in order to evaluate and assess its worthiness and discuss those conclusions.
|ART 012||Two-Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 013||Three Dimensional Design||3|
|ART 014||Color Theory||3|
|ART 024||Beginning Drawing||3|
|ART 026||Intermediate Drawing||3|
|ART 091||Survey of Art History: Prehistoric Through Gothic||3|
|ART 092||Survey of Art History: Renaissance to the Present||3|
Area of Emphasis
Select one of the following areas of emphasis: Coursework may not be duplicated
Drawing and Painting AS Degree Requirements
|ART 055A||Life Drawing I||3|
|ART 055B||Life Drawing II||3|
|ART 060||Beginning Painting I||3|
|ART 061||Beginning Painting II||3|
|Major Requirements and Area of Emphasis||33|
|General Education/Graduation Requirements||24|
|Elective Units (Degree Applicable)||2|
Photography AS Degree Requirements
|PHOTO 022||Beginning Photography||3|
|PHOTO 062||Intermediate Photography||3|
|PHOTO 076||Photoshop 1||3|
|PHOTO 079||Beginning Digital Photography||3|
|PHOTO 098||Directed Study in Photography||3|
|Major Requirements and Area of Emphasis||36|
|General Education Requirements||24|