Early Childhood Education - Associate in Science
San José City College offers an Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degree and various certificates in Early Childhood Education (ECE). Graduates of the Associate in Science degree qualify through academic preparation and field experience for work in child centers, pre-schools, day care facilities, infant and toddler centers and other programs serving young children. They are able to use instructional techniques, which promote intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and creative growth in children. After completing the Associate in Science degree, students will be eligible for the Teacher Level of the State of California Children’s Center Permit, and qualify for employment as teachers in government and privately funded early care and education programs. Students planning to transfer to a 4-year university should follow the AS-T degree. A grade of “C” or better is required in all ECE major, certificate and major elective courses..
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze current requirements and standards for early childhood educators and early care and education programs.
- Design daily schedules and classroom interactions with children consistent with current knowledge of child development.
- Document and assess the needs of individual children in early care and education settings.
- Plan and implement classroom based activities consistent with a developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Communicate effectively with children, parents and coworkers verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical standards required to function successfully in early care and education programs.
A.S. Major Requirements
|ECE 101||Introduction to Curriculum||3|
|ECE 101B||Practicum in Early Childhood Education 1||3|
|ECE 102||Principles & Practices of Teaching Young Children||3|
|ECE 104||Art and Creativity for Children||3|
|ECE 105||Language Development for Young Children||3|
|ECE 107||Child, Family and Community||3|
|ECE 108||Health, Safety, and Nutrition in Child Care||3|
|ECE 109||Music, Movement, and Rhythm Activities for Children||3|
|FCS 070||Child Development||3|
|PSYCH 092||Developmental Psychology||3|
ECE 101B must be taken at San José City College.
A.S. Degree Requirements
|A.S. Major Requirements||30|
|Approved Major Electives (see below)||6|
|General Education Requirements||24|
Approved A.S. Major Electives
|ECE 016||Storytelling for Children||2|
|ECE 017||Literacy Development in Children||2|
|ECE 018||Children's Literature||2|
|ECE 020||Observation and Assessment Methods in ECE||3|
|ECE 106||Administration and Supervision of Early Childhood Programs I||3|
|ECE 110||Administration and Supervision of Early Childhood Programs II||3|
|ECE 145||The Child With Special Needs||3|
|ECE 146||Child Guidance and Discipline||2|
|ECE 147||Teaching Young Children in a Diverse Society||3|
|ECE 191||Infant Toddler Development||3|
|ECE 195||The School Age Child: Development, Behavior, Curriculum||3|
|PSYCH 010||General Psychology||3|