Esthetics - Certificate of Achievement Level 2
The Esthetics Program is composed of 600 hours of instruction to satisfy the requirements of the California State Board of Cosmetology. Students can earn Certificate of Achievement - Level 2 by completing two semesters of course work with classes being held in the evenings and Saturdays. Upon completion of the program students are eligible to take the State Board Esthetics examination. The program is intended to prepare students for entry level positions i.e., esthetician, makeup artist, reconstructive makeup artist, cosmetic sales. A grade of “C” or better is required for each course in the certificate.
To be considered for admission to the Esthetics program, students must apply to the Esthetics department first, followed by a general SJCC application for admission. The Esthetician application form is available online: http://www.sjcc.edu/academics/departments-divisions/esthetics-services. Applications are also available through the Esthetics department in the Cosmetology Department V-11 or by mail. The general SJCC application for admission can be completed by following the steps listed under “Apply and Register” on the SJCC Web Page. Orientation meeting attendance is required prior to enrollment.
- Nail Technician
- Makeup Artist
- Salon Owner/Manager
- Manufacturer Representative
- Platform Stylist
- Spa Technician
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply all technical and practical skills for preparation and passing the California State Board licensing exam.
- Learn established guidelines and regulations outlined by the California Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Demonstrate a firm understanding and working knowledge of safety, sanitation and client protection rules.
- Discuss skin evaluation results, share analysis, and recommend treatments.
- Compare and explain methods, equipment and products used.
- Apply theories, principles and concepts to learn additional skills needed as an esthetician.
- Demonstrate the ability to act and work with integrity and honesty.
- Develop the ability to interact with individuals of different gender, ethnicity, background and culture.
- Seek new environmentally conscious ways to practice esthetics.