Medical Assisting: Administrative - Certificate of Achievement Level 3
San José City College offers an Associate in Science and certificate in Medical Assisting: Administrative. The Medical Assisting: Administrative program prepares the student for employment as an administrative (front office) medical assistant in a physician’s office or clinic. This program is designed to prepare the student to schedule appointments, perform medical reception duties, handle financial matters (including medical collection), manage medical records, and insurance billing. The externship in the front office of a physician’s office will provide the student with the administrative experience necessary to enter the workforce.
Prior to, or after finishing the major classes, the student may complete the General Education requirements for the A.S. Degree. A grade of “C” or better is required in each major course. An advanced course in the major must be taken at San José City College.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Execute administrative medical front office skills including billing and coding procedures, health insurance form processing, patient and patient record/chart management, and public relations.
- Apply knowledge of the human body, medical terminology and disease to front office administrative protocols and procedures.
- Exercise compliance with regard to HIPAA privacy practices, and be able to explain these guidelines to both patients and other health professionals.
- Adhere to, and support, OSHA and other regulatory agency safety guidelines overseeing the practice of medicine and implement such safety protocols.
- Prepare for Certified Medical Assistant/CMA exam and/or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam.
- Effectively communicate with patients and other health care personnel while exercising the highest level of professional conduct.
- Integrate practical experience during an externship within a medical office setting.
- Service the community by filling a need for certified, well-trained front office medical assistants.
|CA 100D||Microsoft Office||3|
|HSCI 008||Medical Terminology||3|
|MA 005||Medical Office Emergencies||2|
|MA 006||Introduction to Medical Assisting||3|
|MA 007||Medical Front Office Procedures||3|
|MA 008||Medical Office Financial Procedures||3|
|MA 009||Electronic Health Records and Medical Billing||3|
|MA 011||Medical Coding||2|
|MA 012||Medical Assisting Administrative Practicum Experience||4|
|BUS 007A||Business Language Skills||3|
|or BUS 008||Business English and Writing|
|Select one of the following:||4-5|
|Structure and Function of the Human Body 1|
Course meets the A.S. degree lab science general education requirement for the Medical Assisting major only and cannot be used to meet the lab science general education requirement for any other major