Business Administration - Associate in Arts
San José City College offers an Associate in Arts (AA) degree in Business Administration. The Associate in Arts, Business Administration Major meets the lower division course requirements necessary for San Jose State University’s BS-Business Administration with concentration in Accounting, Accounting and Management Information Systems (a formal dual concentration), Finance, Human Resources Management, International Business, Manufacturing Management, Marketing. A grade of “C” or better is required for all coursework in the major.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the purpose of business and its functional objectives.
- Explain fundamental business structure and basic organizational responsibilities.
- Apply an understanding and working knowledge of basic business terminologies.
- Demonstrate familiarity with basic elements of managing a small business or its components.
- Describe various business functions in order to prepare for employment in business or to prepare for advancement into upper division course work.
- Interpret and communicate findings of financial information for management, investors, clients, stakeholders, and other interested users.
- Demonstrate the basic applications of presentation, advertising, and promotion which emphasize integrated marketing communication to a diverse audience.
- Practice effective written and oral skills in explaining solutions to practical business problems.
- Provide an intelligent interpretation of and show a proper use of business statements.
- Explain how legal concepts are sustained by the various laws and regulations affecting business, managers, employees, investors, customers, and suppliers.
- Identify key issues, research relevant data, and show evidence of analytical thinking about possible solution for business opportunities and problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals of differing interests, genders, orientations, backgrounds, professions and laws in a global environment.
- Examine the impacts of solutions to economic, ethical, and legal dilemmas presented with working in the international marketplace.
- Explain the importance of the practice high ethical standards in all contacts with various stakeholders by all members of the business community.
- Demonstrate how to develop, recognize, and practice high ethical standards in all contacts with various stakeholders which maintain equity and implement fair business practices.
- Analyze the inter-relationship of legal, ethical, social, and philanthropic efforts of a business as it relates to the business products, services and activities.
- Collect, classify, and record data used to create intelligent information for business decision making.
- Show familiarity with applications of technology in the communication and marketing of business products or services.
- Create and produce documentable solutions to business problems and challenges.
- Prepare reports and papers consistent with the goals and objectives of marketing communication in a proper format
A.A. Major Requirements
|ACCTG 020||Financial Accounting||5|
|ACCTG 021||Managerial Accounting||5|
|BUS 071||Legal Environment of Business||3|
|BUS 082||Introduction to Business||3|
|CIS 041||Introduction to Computer Information Systems||3|
|ECON 010A||Principles of Macroeconomic Theory||3|
|ECON 010B||Introduction to Microeconomic Theory||3|
|ENGL 001B||English Composition||3|
|MATH 061||Finite Mathematics 1||3|
|or MATH 062||Calculus for Business and the Social Sciences|
|BUS 060||Fundamentals of Business Statistics 1||3|
|or MATH 063||Elementary Statistics|
Consult with a counselor to determine which courses are applicable within the major at the CSU you are planning to transfer to.
A.A. Degree Requirements
|General Education Requirements||39|
The SJCC Business Department faculty recommends students include the types of courses described below in their Educational Plans: